VA Providence Healthcare System
The VA Providence Healthcare System chaplains, from left to right, Father John Wydeven, Chaplain Wilfred Bristol, Chaplain Walter Foster, Chief Chaplain Rotunda East, and Father T.J. Varghese.The Chaplain Service provides spiritual support and counseling for Veterans and staff to promote their health and wellbeing. Please contact:
Chief Chaplain Rotunda East (nondenominational)
401-273-7100, ext. 12865
Chaplain (Father) John Wydeven (Roman Catholic)
401-273-7100, ext. 13098
Chaplains have a three-fold responsibility:
- Ensure that patients (both inpatient and outpatient) receive appropriate clinical pastoral care;
- Ensure that hospital patients' constitutional rights to free exercise of religion are protected; and
- Protect patients from having religion imposed upon them.
The spiritual dimension of health is integrated into all aspects of patient care. Chaplains also minister to the patient's family and loved ones, as appropriate, and are available 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week. Every inpatient receives an initial visit from a chaplain, but you may request to see a chaplain at any time. Inpatients may request a visit by asking the unit secretary or a nurse.
The Chapel is located on the third floor, C-wing, and is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Chapel offices are open daily. The Chief of Chaplain Service may be reached at extension 12865. The Catholic Chaplain may be reached at extension 13098. General inquiries about spiritual and pastoral care may use the Chaplain Service extension, 401-273-7100, ext. 13000.
Religious services are available as follows:
- Catholic Mass is celebrated in the Chapel, Monday through Thursday at 11:30 a.m. and Sundays at 9:30 a.m.
- Holy Communion is made available to all patients, as are other Sacraments upon request.
- A variety of free religious literature is available from Chaplain Service by request or in the Chapel.
- Upon request, Chaplains make an effort to meet the spiritual needs of all faiths using VA and community resources.
- Main Building - 3C
- 401-273-7100 Ext. 13000
Hours of Operation
- 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.