Providence VA Medical Center, Rhode Island
The Genomics Laboratory provides molecular genetic, epigenetic, and gene expression analysis to over fifty investigators within the Brown University Medical School, its affiliated hospitals, and collaborating institutions around the country. Coupled with statistical genetic support from the Division of Behavioral Genetics of Rhode Island Hospital, the Genomics Laboratory provides full service integration of genetic research methods into ongoing and new research programs in psychiatry and other areas of medical and behavioral research. In contrast to core facilities that provide only access to equipment or raw molecular data, the comprehensive support from the Genomics Laboratory and Division of Behavioral Genetics takes more of a team science approach. Examples include working with PIs to:
- Identify the appropriate scale of genetic investigation (from single locus to next generation sequencing) and, as needed, develop competitive grant applications.
- Train research groups/staff on DNA collection techniques.
- Receive and process biological samples using state-of-the-art molecular methods.
- Work with research groups on analysis and integration of molecular and phenotypic data and interpretation of results, as needed.
- Assist in preparing manuscripts for publication.
The Genomics Laboratory also provides training opportunities for researchers to familiarize themselves with molecular genotyping methods (e.g., multiple NIH K and CDA-awardees have spent time training in our lab). The Genomics Laboratory is actively working on projects funded by CSR&D, HSR&D, NIAAA, NIDA, NIMH, NICD, NCRR, NSF, DoD, and numerous research foundations. As the Genomics Laboratory is physically located at the Providence VA Medical Center, we are well-positioned to conduct genetic research on Veterans without obtaining an off-site waiver.
Point of Contact: John McGeary, PhD
Phone: (401) 273-7100 ext. 3393
*This link uses regular e-mail and is not secure.
Do not send personal or medical information over the internet.