VA Providence Healthcare System
Work Status for Employees
As of Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:36 AM EDT
Director statement regarding reporting for duty:
Please help us limit the spread of COVID-19. Updated procedures and guidelines…
We are screening at the entrance to Building 1 and select clinics. Try the new digital screening tool for employees -- text the word “screen” to 53079. Large text, buttons and simple language allow you to answer questions before you walk up to the screeners, allowing for faster triage when you show your result.
All employees (clinical and nonclinical) will be provided a mask to be worn at all times while on campus.
The Regent Ave. gate is now open.
Services provided by volunteers are suspended until further notice, including the DAV van drivers. Providence VA shuttle services to Eagle Square has resumed.
General Operations Information
We are calling Veterans to help determine if their appointments are best seen in person or virtually. Clinical staff should provide care virtually using VA Video Connect whenever appropriate.
Continue to maintain social distancing when possible and remember to wash your hands often. Select employees are being tested based on potential exposure to the coronavirus – ask your supervisor for more information if you think this may apply to you.
Eagle Square, Middletown, Hyannis and New Bedford VA clinics are now accepting scheduled in-person appointments in addition to virtual appointments. Patients should still call before coming to PVAMC or its clinics, or message us with My HealtheVet, to discuss if their appointment is best in person or virtually.
Employee food service options are limited:
- All take-out food delivery to the Providence VA Medical Center is suspended until further notice. Food delivery people will not be allowed access to the medical center, but you can meet them outside.
- The Canteen remains open during their regular hours, and now offers limited seating! The Canteen is also offering bread, eggs, deli meat and other staples for staff convenience. Staff can pre-order family-size meals, such as lasagna, to bring home to their families with at least 48 hours advance notice, as well. More information is on the home page at https://vaww.visn1.portal.va.gov/intranet/providence/news/Pages/Need-Groceries-without-stopping-at-the-large-markets.aspx
- The Coffee Shop is open weekdays from 7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
The Barbershop is open by appointment only -- call 401-479-0254
The Library is closed
If you are travelling, avoid coronavirus hot spots if possible and talk to your supervisor about appropriate precautions upon your return.
If you have flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough and shortness of breath, please stay home, notify your supervisor and contact your primary health care provider for guidance.
The Patient Call Center line, ext. 13336, is for patient use only. Employees trying to reach another employee by phone should call the applicable service or clinic directly. A list of phone numbers is at https://www.providence.va.gov/contact/phone_directory.asp
As we deal with changes to our personal and professional lives due to COVID-19, we may all experience a wide range of thoughts, feelings and reactions. Employee resources for support and counseling include:
- The SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline provides crisis counseling 24/7 and is confidential, call 800-985-5990, text “TalkWithUs” to 66746, or visit https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/disaster-distress-helpline
- The Providence VAMC Employee Assistance Program, or EAP, offers free and confidential short-term counseling, referrals and follow-up services. You can request an appointment through the link on the COVID 19 SharePoint, or by contacting Marie L. Sullivan, LICSW, BCD, CCM, Polytrauma/TBI & SCI/ALS Program Coordinator, at 401-273-7100, ext. 13425 or Sullivan2@va.gov
- The Providence VAMC Chaplain Service provides spiritual support and counseling for Veterans and staff, and are available at 401-273-7100, ext. 13000, or email Chaplain Rotunda East at East@va.gov
- The VA Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) Assistance Program provides Veterans, their partners, and VA staff with information, resources and support for victims of IPV, their loved ones and caregivers. For more information or assistance, please contact Lucy J. Ramos, LICSW, at Mobile: 401-443-0278 or Lucy.Ramos@va.gov, or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at https://www.thehotline.org or 800-799-7233
The VA Providence Regional Benefits Office has closed all office locations to the public. To learn more about VA benefits or file a claim:
- Call 800-827-1000, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Visit va.gov
For details and up-to-date information during our response to COVID-19, you can always visit the employee situation page of the website, https://www.providence.va.gov/emergency/employee_emergency.asp, intranet home page, https://vaww.visn1.portal.va.gov/intranet/providence/Pages/default.aspx, or the COVID-19 SharePoint page, https://dvagov.sharepoint.com/sites/VHAPROCHIO/COVID. The VA-wide COVID-19 page on VA Insider is at https://vaww.insider.va.gov/covid-19.
Thank you all for your continued flexibility, hard work and commitment during what is a very challenging time for all of us.
During a VA-declared emergency:
VA Employees should return to this page for updates. For more information about this emergency, go to our main Emergency Information page.