Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps.
1. Please switch auto forms mode to off.
2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc).
3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow.
You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Providence VA Medical Center, Rhode Island
- Explore Long Term Services, Supports—Just in Case
- Explore your long term care services and supports now, while you don't need them. Personal proactive planning can provide you peace of mind for yourself and those you care about.
- Two Vets Take Home Honors at Fishing Tournament
- The RI Lions Sight Foundation (RILSF) hosted their 6th Annual VIP Fishing Tournament for Visually Impaired Persons (VIP’s) of RI on a chartered boat off Galilee, RI. 16 Blind Veterans were included in 39 VIP’s on board.
- Sterile Processing Service Achieves 100% Cert
- The PVAMC set a goal to demonstrate our commitment to excellence by having all Sterile Processing Service (SPS) staff certified in sterile processing. Certification is optional, and the examination is a rigorous one.
- Providence VA Medical Center Honors Nurses
- During the week of May 6-12, the Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center honored the dedicated men and women who we consider to be the compassionate backbone of the Veterans' health-care system - nurses.
- We've Re-Designed Our Entire Website!
- Our new look is designed to help you easily and quickly access information with intuitive and easy-to-use navigation.
We know that you consider this website our front door. And we want you to feel welcome.
- Veterans Helping Veterans on the Path of Recovery
- Horticulture, Vet N Pets, expressive arts...what do each of these programs have in common, you ask? They are just some of the many creative therapies helping Veterans help each other on the path of recovery.
- Live Enactments Honor Black History Month
- This past February, several Providence VAMC staff and volunteers performed live character enactments to highlight the accomplishments of African Americans in American History: Charles Drew, M.D., Creator of Blood Plasma; Benjamin Banneker, Architect; George Washington Carver, Inventor; Mohammed Ali, Boxer and Philanthropist; Serena Williams, Tennis Player and Businesswoman; Condoleezza Rice, Government Official and 66th Secretary of State; Mahalia Jackson, Gospel Singer/Artist; Maya Angelou, Actor, Dancer, International Acclaimed Author; and Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States of America.
- Vet2Vet Enters 5th Year
- The Providence VA Medical Center's Vet2Vet program has been on a long and interesting journey. Vet2Vet concentrates on present-centered wellness, and one of the most important aspects is laughter which is believed to be "good medicine" for the soul
- Lowe’s Heroes Project Donates Two Storage Sheds
- As part of its commitment to the community--Lowe’s established the ‘Lowe’s Heroes Project’ and, each year, seeks to identify a project in the community for which Lowe’s volunteers can volunteer their time to complete a designated project.
- PVAMC Pain Management Program Welcomes New Provider
- Pain Management is a highly specialized field of medicine that is growing. Not every community or VA Medical Center has clinicians who specialize in pain medicine. The Providence VAMC has had an interventional pain management program since 2007 and is fortunate to have three experienced anesthesiologists--Dr. Fred Burgess, Dr. Afreen Siddiqui, and Dr. Keith Fragoza–as well as a nurse practitioner, Sue Bridges--who can assist Veterans in managing their pain. The program has shown remarkable success.
From the Veterans Health Administration
- Veterans Can Now Track Delivery of Prescriptions
- A VA employee thought if he could track the delivery of his gifts online, why not make it possible for Veterans to track the delivery of their prescriptions the same way? Now, they can.
- Veteran Survived the Battle of the Bulge
- Seventy years ago this month, stubbornly brave American soldiers fought the Battle of the Bulge. Arthur Berkowitz, 91, was one of them. He recalls the battle and a bullet that later shattered his knee.
- Objective: Help improve health care for Veterans
- Over 300,000 Veterans have joined the Million Veteran Program, a partnership between VA and Veterans to establish a database of information which may lead to preventing and treating illnesses in Veterans.
- Seven Ways to Manage Stress during the Holidays
- Holidays should be about family, friends and fun. But what about all those demands and deadlines? Here are some tips to help Veterans and their families manage all that stress, now and all year long.
- USS Arizona Survivor Recalls Pearl Harbor Attack
- Lonnie Cook, 94, is one of nine USS Arizona survivors still living. His plans for a day of liberty in Honolulu came to a halt just before 8:00 on Sunday morning, December 7, 1941.
- At Wyoming VA, No Veteran Dies Alone
- Since 2012, volunteers at the Cheyenne VA Medical Center in Wyoming have been spending hours sitting at the bedside of dying Veterans, keeping them company as they near their final journey.
- Giving Thanks ... with Empathy and Hope
- PJ Johnson knows about recovery. She was hit by a car while undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. During her rehab, the Veterans she usually helps encouraged her to get better and come back to them.
- Brain Bank to Help in Treatment of PTSD
- A new brain bank in Vermont will help with understanding abnormal brain activity in PTSD and could pave the way for new approaches to diagnosis and treatment of individuals with PTSD.
- Quit Smoking for Your Health and Breathe Easier
- November 20th is the Great American Smokeout. Join the Smokeout by quitting or making a plan to quit smoking that day. Succeed with helpful tips from Dr. Timothy P. Carmody.
- Just Saying No to Pain Meds
- Specialists at the VA in Charleston, South Carolina, have helped more than 400 patients ease off their chronic pain medications. How did they do it? The answer might surprise you.