Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps.
1. Please switch auto forms mode to off.
2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc).
3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow.
You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Providence VA Medical Center, Rhode Island
- Explore Long Term Services, Supports—Just in Case
- Explore your long term care services and supports now, while you don't need them. Personal proactive planning can provide you peace of mind for yourself and those you care about.
- Two Vets Take Home Honors at Fishing Tournament
- The RI Lions Sight Foundation (RILSF) hosted their 6th Annual VIP Fishing Tournament for Visually Impaired Persons (VIP’s) of RI on a chartered boat off Galilee, RI. 16 Blind Veterans were included in 39 VIP’s on board.
- Sterile Processing Service Achieves 100% Cert
- The PVAMC set a goal to demonstrate our commitment to excellence by having all Sterile Processing Service (SPS) staff certified in sterile processing. Certification is optional, and the examination is a rigorous one.
- Providence VA Medical Center Honors Nurses
- During the week of May 6-12, the Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center honored the dedicated men and women who we consider to be the compassionate backbone of the Veterans' health-care system - nurses.
- We've Re-Designed Our Entire Website!
- Our new look is designed to help you easily and quickly access information with intuitive and easy-to-use navigation.
We know that you consider this website our front door. And we want you to feel welcome.
- Veterans Helping Veterans on the Path of Recovery
- Horticulture, Vet N Pets, expressive arts...what do each of these programs have in common, you ask? They are just some of the many creative therapies helping Veterans help each other on the path of recovery.
- Live Enactments Honor Black History Month
- This past February, several Providence VAMC staff and volunteers performed live character enactments to highlight the accomplishments of African Americans in American History: Charles Drew, M.D., Creator of Blood Plasma; Benjamin Banneker, Architect; George Washington Carver, Inventor; Mohammed Ali, Boxer and Philanthropist; Serena Williams, Tennis Player and Businesswoman; Condoleezza Rice, Government Official and 66th Secretary of State; Mahalia Jackson, Gospel Singer/Artist; Maya Angelou, Actor, Dancer, International Acclaimed Author; and Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States of America.
- Vet2Vet Enters 5th Year
- The Providence VA Medical Center's Vet2Vet program has been on a long and interesting journey. Vet2Vet concentrates on present-centered wellness, and one of the most important aspects is laughter which is believed to be "good medicine" for the soul
- Lowe’s Heroes Project Donates Two Storage Sheds
- As part of its commitment to the community--Lowe’s established the ‘Lowe’s Heroes Project’ and, each year, seeks to identify a project in the community for which Lowe’s volunteers can volunteer their time to complete a designated project.
- PVAMC Pain Management Program Welcomes New Provider
- Pain Management is a highly specialized field of medicine that is growing. Not every community or VA Medical Center has clinicians who specialize in pain medicine. The Providence VAMC has had an interventional pain management program since 2007 and is fortunate to have three experienced anesthesiologists--Dr. Fred Burgess, Dr. Afreen Siddiqui, and Dr. Keith Fragoza–as well as a nurse practitioner, Sue Bridges--who can assist Veterans in managing their pain. The program has shown remarkable success.
From the Veterans Health Administration
- Flu Shots: More Access, Seamless Documentation
- VA partners with Walgreens to expand real-time sharing of medical information of vaccines provided by Walgreens to enrolled Veterans. VA is covering the cost of about 75,000 flu shots.
- Free Rides for Vets Living in Highly Rural Areas
- VA has just made it possible for more of America’s Veterans living in highly rural areas to get free transportation to a VA medical center or other facilities that provide VA care.
- With a Little Help, a Veteran's Life Transformed
- One minute, Army Veteran Robbie Myers was living in a tent. The next, he was winning a nationally-televised cooking competition. His amazing journey began when he walked into a VA Medical Center.
- Dondi gets Flu Shot Along with 96-year-old Creator
- 96-year-old Veteran Irwin Hasen is the cartoonist who created the famous character Dondi, a war orphan. He recently sketched his famous creation reminding Veterans and VA staff to get their flu shot.
- Go Green for Mental Illness Awareness Week
- In observance of Mental Illness Awareness Week, VA facilities will be sponsoring events designed to educate Veterans, their families and staff on mental health recovery concepts and practices.
- Slimming Down Helps with Diabetes & Pre-diabetes
- Weight loss in overweight adults with diabetes can improve blood sugar levels, decrease the need for some medications, reduce blood pressure, improve heart function, and improve cholesterol levels.
- Male Breast Cancer: A Rare Disease, on the Rise
- Male breast cancer is rare, accounting for less than one percent of cancers in men and less than one percent of all breast cancer. VA researchers are helping to understand the phenomenon.
- VA Leads the Nation in Breast Cancer Screening
- October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. VA wants to help Veterans learn more about breast cancer with the helpful tools listed in this story including a Breast Cancer Risk Calculator.
- High Heels a Snap With New Prosthetic Foot
- Veterans and others who have lost a lower limb and need prosthetic feet have been limited in the footwear they can choose. A VA researcher in Minneapolis and his colleagues aim to change that.
- The Blue Button is Literally a Life Saver
- Read how one married couple — both Veterans — use VA’s online Personal Health Record, My HealtheVet, all the time and encourage Veterans to sign up and take advantage of its many great features.